Barbie is a forthcoming fantasy comedy film directed by Greta Gerwig and written by her and Noah Baumbach. The film is the first live-action Barbie film after several computer-animated direct-to-video and streaming television films based on Mattel’s Barbie fashion models. The film stars Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling as Barbie and Ken, respectively, with America Ferrera, Kate McKinnon, Issa Rae, Rhea Perlman, and Will Ferrell in supporting roles.
Universal Pictures and Laurence Mark announced the film in September 2009, but development did not begin until April 2014, when Sony Pictures acquired the film rights. Sony lost the rights to the film in October 2018, and Warner Bros. Pictures is currently in negotiations with Robbie to star. In 2019, Robbie was selected in a role. Baumbach and Gerwig were confirmed as directors and co-writers in 2021. Early in 2022, Gosling and the rest of the cast were announced. From March to July of 2022, principal photography took place predominantly at Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden in England.
Who plays whom in the ‘Barbie’ movie?
- As Barbie, Margot Robbie
- As Ken, Ryan Gosling
- Barbie was portrayed in various ways by:
- Weird Barbie, played by Kate McKinnon
- Barbie as President, Issa Rae
- Barbie’s doctor, Hari Nef
- Alexandra Shipp as Barbie’s author
- Emma Mackey as Barbie the Physicist
- Barbie as lawyer Sharon Rooney
- The mermaid is Dua Lipa Barbie
- Nicola Coughlan as Barbie the Diplomat
- Cruz, Ana Barbie as Judge Kayne
- Ritu Arya as Barbie the Journalist
- Kingsley Ben-Adir
- Simu Liu
- Scott Evans
- Ncuti Gatwa
- As Merman, John Cena Ken
- Gloria, a Mattel employee who discovers Barbie in the real world, is played by America Ferrera.
- Connor Swindells works as an intern at Mattel and Will Ferrell serves as the CEO.
- As Allan, Michael Cera
- The narrator is Helen Mirren.
- Jamie Demetriou working for Mattel
- Midge played by Emerald Fennell
Marisa Abela, Ariana Greenblatt, and Rhea Perlman have also been hired for unspecified roles.
What is the story of the ‘Barbie’ movie?
The movie’s synopsis reveals that Robbie’s Barbie doll is expelled from Barbie Land “for not being perfect enough,” leading to the doll’s “real-world adventure.”
Fans will have to wait and see if this is where the human characters play a role, as the plot is still primarily under wraps. Fans may be in for a Barbie multiverse, given that multiple incarnations of Barbie and Ken are slated to appear. This would be consistent with the Barbie brand, which has produced numerous dolls over the years that celebrate individuals of all genders, sizes, shapes, and ethnicities.
According to a recent interview with Vogue, Ken spends most of the film daydreaming about the shore, whereas Barbie experiences the harsh realities of being sexualized against her will. The trailer also suggests that Ferrell’s character, the CEO of Mattel, will function in some capacity as an antagonist.
Who are the musicians on the soundtrack to the ‘Barbie’ movie?
The “Barbie” soundtrack contains a total of 16 tracks. Ice Spice, Dua Lipa, Lizzo, Khalid, and even Gosling will be featured.
- “Pink” by Lizzo
- “Dance the Night” by Dua Lipa.
- “Barbie World” by Nicki Minaj and Ice Spice (with Aqua)
- “Speed Drive” by Charli XCX.
- “WATATI” by Karol G (with Aldo Ranks)
- “Journey to the Real World” by Tame Impala.
- “I’m Just Ken” by Ryan Gosling
- “Hey Blondie” by Dominic Fike
- “Forever & Again” by The Kid Laroi.
- “Silver Platter” by Khalid
- “Angel” by PinkPantheress
- “Butterflies” by Gayle
- “Choose Your Fighter” by Ava Max.
- “Barbie Dreams” by Fifty Fifty (with Kali)
When will the ‘Barbie’ movie come out?
Barbie is scheduled to arrive in theatres on Friday, July 21, 2023. Previous project iterations were scheduled for June 2, 2017, May 12, 2017, June 29, 2018, August 8, 2018, and May 8, 2020.
Barbie’s aesthetics had a cultural impact in mid-2022, more than a year before its scheduled release, as a result of the release of early stills of Robbie as Barbie and bystander photos from the film’s location shooting that highlighted the use of bright pastel colours in two options: first, pink had been projected by many publications as a fashion trend for the upcoming year, and second, its popularity was viewed as having been boosted by discussion of the film.
Even though it was primarily discussed as a fashion trend, it also included interior design and cosmetics. According to Vogue, the production of Greta Gerwig’s upcoming film has made Barbiecore, which consists primarily of scant pink outfits, the summer fashion trend. The New York Times also predicted a fashion trend for 2023 consisting of “neon pink and yellow, with a related postmodern revisionism of the classic colour palette.”