“Back to December” is a song that was written and performed by Taylor Swift, an American singer-songwriter. Speak Now (Taylor’s Version), her third re-recorded album, was published on July 7, 2023, with this song serving as the third track on the album. The song was initially made available to the public in 2010 as the follow-up single to her second studio album, which was titled Speak Now.
This country pop ballad is about a woman who feels guilty about the way she treated her former boyfriend in the past. She admits in the song that she was self-centered and that she took him for granted, but that she feels she needs to make amends now. Nathan Chapman was the producer of the song, while Taylor Swift was the songwriter.
The re-recording of “Back to December” received a lot of positive feedback from critics. Both Swift’s voice and the modernised production garnered accolades from reviewers. The song was not only critically acclaimed, but it also did very well commercially, climbing all the way up to number two on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the United States.
The lyrics of the song are about a woman who is contemplating her previous romantic involvement and how she behaved towards her ex-boyfriend. She admits in the song that she was self-centered and that she took him for granted, but that she feels she needs to make amends now. The song is an earnest expression of regret, and it demonstrates how much Swift has matured as a person since she penned the earlier version of the song.
Some of the lyrics to “Back to December” are as follows:
- “I’m standing here in front of you With my heart in my hand I’m begging you to take it back Back to December”
- “I was a crumpled up piece of paper lying here ‘Til you picked me up Tied me up and turned me into something beautiful”
- “I’m so sorry for that night I was a mess, I was out of my mind And I said things that I didn’t mean And I know that you’re probably right That I should just let you go”
Here are some further particulars about the song:
- Swift’s relationship with actor Taylor Lautner inspired the tune. After filming “Valentine’s Day” in 2009, the couple began dating.
- The song’s title refers to the month Swift and Lautner ended their relationship.
- The music video for the single was directed by Blake Lively.
- Several artists have covered the tune, including Kelly Clarkson, Selena Gomez, and Miley Cyrus.
The song’s music, which is slow and dramatic, complements the lyrics quite well. The production quality is very high, adding to the overall atmosphere created. The song is a beautiful ballad, and it will speak to everyone who has ever made a mistake in a relationship.